Friday, May 15, 2009

Lima highlands

Diademed Plover, I have seen this species earlier, but these are my first photos of this species. I could maybe have gone somewhat closer, but decided not to disturb the birds more than necessary.
Diademed Plover

White-bellied Cinclodes


Rufous-bellied Seedesnipe
Black-breasted Hillstar

All since I got "Birds of the High Andes" back in 1991, I have been interested in seeing many of the scarce Andean birds. I saw many of them back in 1997 visiting Abra Malaga. Just to mention Royal Cinclodes and Ash-breasted Tit-Tyrant. But still I hadn't seen several of the highland species from Lima, among them White-bellied Cinclodes, Dark-winged Miner & Olivaceous Thornbill (the Thornbill is not only a speciality for this area, but easily seen here), all of them target species on this trip (I saw them all!). Unfortunately I didn't manage to take to many good photos, mostly because the battery was almost flat, and I hadn't my second battery in the bag either :-(. I just took some photos without checking the result. However, some of them are good enough.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the hummer looks strange for a thornbill. long beak, very green head and black below. perhaps black-breasted hillstar? wish i was there with all the nice birds!!!

Tor Egil Høgsås said...

Hi,

Maybe your right with this one, it is to colorful, the thornbill looks more all black and have a straighter bill.

Tor Egil

Tor Egil Høgsås said...

By the way,

We had the thornbill here as well, but I was not aware that we had even one more species at this site.

Tor Egil